I’m not sure why I’ve been sewing so many French patterns lately! The République du Chiffon Camille top was fun to try to decipher (what with all the steering wheels and dead bites and what-not in the instructions), then it was this DP Studio pattern, and I’m completing the French hat trick (pronounced “at trick”, of course) with Jalie. Ok, technically Jalie is Canadian, not French, but it is a Quebec-based company run by several very charming native French speakers, so I’m counting it!
This is Jalie’s Adele Flutter Top, model #3888. Let me just be clear right at the get-go. I am NOT a ruffle kinda girl. Wearing ruffles makes me feel like I’m being swarmed by gnats that I have to bat away regularly. (What IS that extra bit of movement? <bat bat> What is sprouting from my shoulders? <bat bat> What the hell are all these sticky-outy bits fluttering in the breeze? <bat bat>)
Or so I thought! At PR-Weekend in June 2018, Jalie was there to give demos and had garment samples on hand. (PR Weekend is a yearly meet-up organized by Sewing Pattern Review — a bit more on that in an earlier post.) I tried on this sample, which was exactly my size, and I realized I was perhaps wrong about the no-ruffle thing:
And then I found this cute, textured poly-crepe (on sale for $4/m at Fabricland) which is a perfect match for the pattern. Look at dem cute little flowers! (Ironically also not my thing. Big-ass bold florals, yes; small scale florals, not so much. I’m going waaaay out of my comfort zone here, people!)
I asked for 2m, and there was an extra half meter or so left on the bolt, so they threw that in and I got 2.5m for $8. This top only took up about 1m of fabric so there’s enough for another top leftover. Bargain! My mom would be proud. (I hope she is reading this. She is the OG of bargainistas. Mom, I’ll explain what that means when I see you later.)
The neckline is bound with bias tape. I used pre-made bias tape which saved some yardage on my fabric, plus LAZY. Ain’t nobody here got time to make bias tape, especially out of this shifty, fraying fabric!
I haven’t quite mastered the technique of getting woven, bias-bound necklines to lay flat…they always seem to want to stick up a bit. Any tips on that for me?
The top can also be tied in the back for a more streamlined look in front:
- I can safely add a bit of ruffle to my style comfort zone!
- I *could* add small-scale florals to my style comfort zone…but let’s be real. I’d much rather be wearing the cool black and white graphic print on the sample garment than tiny flowers. I’m allowing tiny flowers in this case because they pass for cherries if you squint.
- This poly-crepe, while not containing any elastane, has a bit of ‘mechanical’ stretch; that is, the texture and the loose-ish weave allow for some flexing, so I’m not having my usual “why-the-hell-did-I-sew-a-woven-top-this-is-so-uncomfortable” regrets.
- I usually avoid polyester fabric. Again, it was the Jalie sample garment that made me realize there are situations in which it can be a good choice, and I think this fabric really works with this design. I think this could easily work with a knit or a rayon woven also.
Merci pour avoir passé par ici! À bientôt!