Was I Drunk? Burda Baggy Sweater 01/2015 #107

Look at this neckline! I might as well have been drunk when I sewed it. Shame I wasn’t; I would at least have had an excuse.

Burda 01/2015 #107 baggy sweater

I am a victim of “let’s just get this thing DONE, shall we?” syndrome. I chopped and pinned and stitched that neckline in a frenzy so I could clean up the dining room table in time for dinner. The neckline sucks, but dinner was excellent.

This is Burda’s “Cozy Sweater with Rounded Shoulders” from the January 2015 edition of the magazine. (The European version, not the American one. Is it me or is the American version just a rehash of all the patterns that have already been released in the Euro edition? I am happy to make a special trip to get the European version every month — from my local Ye Olde German Shoppe, which I can’t wait to tell you about in another post — because it seems so much better.)

Burda 01/2015 #107 Baggy sweater

I modified the pattern a bit — I mean, in addition to modifying the neckline to be all fucked up. I didn’t use binding around the edges because sewing binding makes me CRAY CRAY. I want to poke my own eyes out with a dull spoon every time I attempt sewing binding. So I just added seam allowance and folded over the edges and top-stitched.

Burda 01/2015 #107 Baggy top

(Note to self: comb hair before photo shoot. And use a frigging lint brush. On the sweater, not the hair.)

The fabric is a polyester stretch with diamond-pattern texture that I picked up from Affordable Textiles in Toronto. It has good body so this feels a bit like I’m rocking the scuba-fabric trend. If you wait long enough, I will eventually get on top of all the latest trends, just when everyone’s already sick of them.

It was a super-quick sew, with only a front piece, back piece, and 4 pieces for the sleeves to sew together. Of course, I haven’t yet factored in the time I am going to spend ripping out and fixing the neckline. I will put this next to the couch in the TV room and one evening I will hopefully pick it up and fix it.

Burda 01/2015 #107 Baggy Top Burda 01/2015 #107 Baggy top

Burda 6910 Dress: all party on one side, all artsy on the other

This is the last thing I made in 2014 — I put the finishing touches on it on December 31st.

Burda 6901 dress with modifications

I cut the front and back pieces so the pattern on the fabric kinda matched up — I’m a zebra if you look at me sideways from the right. I love the mix of horizontal and vertical irregular stripes.

Burda 6910 dress side view

purplezebradress1

The pattern is Burda 6901, a very easy dress pattern consisting of only 4 pieces: front, back, sleeve, neckband.

Burda 6910

I made some modifications to it; the original pattern has ruching/gathering at the waist, but I found that didn’t work with this fabric, which doesn’t drape that well. It’s a wool-blend with 2-way stretch I found at King Textiles a couple of months ago. (I always found the term 2-way stretch confusing; it implies the fabric stretches in both directions, but that’s 4-way stretch. 2-way stretch only stretches in one direction, from selvedge to selvedge.) So I ripped out the side seams to remove the ruching and instead folded over the extra 4 inches at the waist to make it look a bit like a top and skirt. This isn’t perfect but I preferred this method over just sewing a waist seam.

Burda 6010 dress with modifications - folded over waist

I had to tighten up the tops of the sleeves as the neckline was gaping, and I did a simple fold-over neckline instead of using a bias-strip collar. I cut away a bit of the neckline at the front so it wasn’t quite so high.

purplezebradress2

During the photo shoot I bent over to move something and snapped every single one of the hand-sewn tacks I used to keep the fold-over waist in place at the back! Next task is to find some fine elastic thread to redo the tacks with…hopefully that will work.